The Room Project was an assignment given to allow us to put our modeling, UV mapping, texturing, shading and lighting skills to the test. We were first assigned a theme (I ended up being assigned shabby chic) and the room we had to model was an observatory. For shabby chic decor, there is a great amount of pink, white and various shades of blue. The items around the area are also often old and worn or have an overly soft and fluffy appearance to them. In the end, I was very happy with how my project turned out with the exception of a few things.
For the various things I was happy with, the lighting was a key aspect. The background image I acquired had a bright shining yellow sun setting on the left side. In order to make everything fit together, I had to make sure the directional light was set at an angle that would make it appear as though that the sun in the image was casting shadows correctly onto the various objects in the room. After lots of trial and error while experimenting with different angles, I finally found something that worked well and that I was happy with. Anther aspect of the final composition that I am happy with is the look of the rounded walls/windows. When first starting the modeling for these pieces, I had to make sure everything was an equal distance apart so the windows would be the same width all the way around. With the exception of one window, they all turned out perfect. I modeled one half of the wall before mirroring it to the other side to make sure they matched each other. As stated above, besides the one window more towards the center, I am pleased with how this feature came out.
As for aspects I was not happy about, the overall lighting of the room did not come out how I was hoping. As the image was being rendered (77 minutes and 27 seconds), everything in the scene looked well lit and equally illuminated with the exception of the couch on the right due to the shadows being casted. When I saved the default image, everything was well lit and as it appeared in the render view, but didn’t show the warm tint I had given the lights in the scene. When I saved the color managed image however, everything had a warmer look, but the scene was extremely dark. After tweaking some settings and lights, I was able to get a render output that kept the warm feel of the lighting, but didn’t make the scene as dark. Another aspect I wasn’t to fond of in the end was the look of the wine glasses on the table. I had messed with the glass properties many times but could not find a good balance where they appeared to have that mostly see-through but reflective look to them.
Overall I am very happy with how this scene came out and look forward to modeling more environments in the future to further improve my skills as an environmental artist.
During my presentation of my Reflection piece, I had another classmate take notes on my behavior and way I presented myself as well as the piece. The main thing that was brought up in the end was that I would tend to slowly transfer from speaking about the piece to mumbling. I have had this happen many times before in the past and have been trying to improve myself to avoid doing so while presenting. To others, my mumbling habit may make the people watching believe I do not know what I am talking about and/or presenting. This is never the case when I give a presentation. Before I present anything, I go over what order I am going to present things in. I spend more time doing this than thinking about what to actually say; mostly improvising my descriptions on the spot. Though I am good at improvising, as I speak and explain something, a small part of my will say “you aren’t describing it well enough” or “they don’t understand”. This causes me to get lost in thought of what to say while at the same time speaking whatever it is I am describing. And just like that, I start to mumble as a fight breaks out between my mind and mouth. This is something I have tried to work on before and is much better than what it was at least three years ago. But there is always room for improvement. A more positive thing that my classmate told me is that I was good at not only speaking and staying on topic, but also using my hands to point things out; rather than staying erect like a statue.
The following image displayed above is an incomplete render snapshot from another day. After many troubleshooting attempts, Arnold renderer refuses to cooperate and allow me to make a new render with the updates I have made since taking this snapshot.
The piece pictured above is a composition created by Karla Ortiz. It is entirely made up of graphite on paper and the amount of detail the artist incorporated into the piece is remarkable! The use of value is extremely crucial to the final look of the image. Without it, the image would appear flat and have no dimensions or dynamic lighting; diminishing the realistic appearance of the subjects in the piece. Another great use of an element/principle of design is texture. The entirety of the cloth the woman has surrounding her has a fabric like appearance to it; brought to life through use of various line weights and strokes. Texture is also very visible in the owls wings. Rather than having just a basic shape compose the feathers, Karla uses texture techniques to give the feathers a hair like appearance, just as real feathers have. I absolutely love this piece and believe the artist did a fantastic job in planning out the composition and executing it to its maximum potential.
All the following drawings took about 8-10 minutes each. They are all done with a single line except for the one on the bottom right.
Will possibly be adding a blanket draping over one of the couches but other than that this is the general room layout I will be sticking with. Windows in back do have proper settings to be transparent but give off some reflective qualities just as a real window would.